Peg Bundy or June Cleaver?? You decide...but my many misadventures speak for themselves.

Monday, August 13, 2007

Confessions of a Closet Football Fanatic

It pains me to make this post. It pains me to admit that I was wrong. It pains me because there will be no end to the gloating that I will endure from my husband. It pains me because I hate changing my tune.

Up until three years ago, I was very anti-football. I didn't understand it. I didn't understand why it needed to take up so much of my husband's time. What was all the fuss about anyway? Then two little words changed my life. Fantasy. Football.

Scott has played in a fantasy football league for the past 7 or 8 years. (I forget exactly how long it'sbeen now.) When he started playing, I saw fantasy football as just another thing to dislike about the game. Not only did we have to watch every game we possibly could, but we'd spend even more time watching SportsCenter and other news programs for highlights and stats. Weeks where Scott's team was doing well were okay. Weeks where they weren't doing so well could get ugly.

Then, three years ago, one of the teams in Scott's league (he's the commissioner) backed out at the last minute. We're talking the day before the draft last minute. Without an even number of teams, the league wouldn't be able to play. So, in a pinch, I stepped in. I had no clue what I was doing. My team was called "The Replacements" and I went to the draft with a borrowed cheat sheet and made my picks based soley on its rankings. My team was horrible, but I'll be darned if it didn't make watching all those endless football games on Sundays & Mondays so much more interesting. All of a sudden, things started making more sense. I had no intentions of continuing to play beyond that season, but the following season two more teams needed to be replaced and they asked me to stay.

Last season, even though I tried to prepare for the draft a little better, my team "Taxing Authority" didn't fare any better than "The Replacements" had. This season, "We Suck Again" will probably not fare any better than its predecessors. But, I will say, though it pains me to do so. I am now a football fan. Let the gloating begin.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HA! That's hilarious.