Peg Bundy or June Cleaver?? You decide...but my many misadventures speak for themselves.

Sunday, September 28, 2008

Long Night

It all started yesterday at Colin's soccer game. He was on a set of bleachers with three rows. He was trying to jump down off the end of the second row, but slipped and hit his side on the end edge of the bottom row. He got a nice bruise and it's been pretty tender, but other than that he was acting fine.

Last night we had some friends over for dinner, and after we ate Colin was sitting on my lap and I noticed he was feeling a little warm. So, I took his temp & it was 101. I gave him some Tylenol & we went about our evening. He went to bed just fine, but when I went in to check on him before Scott and I went to bed he was feeling warm again and his temp was back up to 101, so I gave him some Motrin and sat with him for awhile. It was pretty quiet while we were sitting there, and I noticed that he sounded a little bit wheezy. Pretty soon he started in with a really dry, and barky cough. At this point, I was starting to get worried thinking that something more may have happened when he fell off the bleachers. After awhile, the Motrin was kicking in and I put him back in bed and went and laid down myself.

Around 2:45 he woke up and was really struggling to breathe (big wheezey gasps of air in and very little exhaling), and his temp was back up to 101. His breathing really freaked me out so we got dressed, loaded up, and headed off to the ER. After a chest X-ray, a breathing treatment, and spending some time with Colin hooked up to the pulse-ox monitor, we came home with a diagnosis of phyarengitis (sp?) (which I think is just basically a fancy term for a sore throat), reactive airway disease, and an upper respiratory infection. The x-rays didn't show any problems related to the fall which was a relief.

The doc said that the infection was most likely viral, but they gave us a script for amoxicillin just to be sure all the bases were covered. We also got scripts for an albuterol inhaler, and another medicine (I don't recall the exact name of it offhand) to help his breathing. We made it home around 4:30 and Colin and I went back to bed in our guest bedroom. He was up bright eyed and bushy tailed at 6:30!! His fever seems to be down for now, which is good. But, he still sounds pretty wheezey and is still coughing off and on. If he would sit still for 5 seconds, he wouldn't sound so bad but that doesn't look like it's going to happen anytime soon. The pharmacy opens in half an hour so I'll be off to fill the Rx's and get some more meds in him. Hopefully he'll take a nice long nap this afternoon! I know I'm going to need one!!

No comments: