Guess what? I'm home by myself, the boy is in bed, and I'm bored...so you get to be treated to some random rambling as I while away the hours before bedtime. You're welcome! ;o)
So...earlier this month Scott and I made a trip down to Houston on official zoo business. He was delivering some birds to them and also bringing some birds back with him. Due to the timing of his trip and staffing situations in his department, he was going to be making the long drive by himself. It just so happened to be a "slow" week for me at work and the grandparents were kind enough to watch "the boy", so I took a few days off and made the trip with him. And you thought that whole super hero thing was just made up? Didn't I tell you I really look like that??
It was our first trip with Jeanine. (that's my husband's name for the GPS that I gave him for Christmas) I have to say, I resisted buying a GPS for quite a long time because I didn't really know whether they were a good investment. But...you might want to make sure you're sitting down for this because I don't say it lightly or often...I was wrong. W.R.O.N.G. I tell you. The GPS was worth every penny we paid for it and then some. We have a Magellan Roadmate, and it's quite the handy little gadget. I will say, Jeanine didn't prevent us from ever making a wrong turn, but the one or two times that we did she got us back on the right track without any violence between the driver and passenger seats. I don't know about you, but in my book she gets an A+ for that.
During the three days we were gone we had alot of laughs, ate some phenomenal food (the best Indian food EVAH and milkshakes for breakfast...nuthin' wrong with that), and even managed to work in some time for a little retail therapy. We had never been to an Ikea before, and without the GPS we didn't feel confident enough to find our way there last time we were in Houston. This time, though, 'ole Jeanine took us right to it. I was all at once completely impressed with the store and completely overwhelmed by it. Holy cow was that store was HUGE! I wasn't overwhelmed enough to be intimidated from purchasing anything, though. Don't be silly. We found a couple of cute things for Colin's room and his bathroom, as well as a few accessories for the basement. We also made a trip to The Container Store...otherwise known as a candy store for the analy organized. We stopped in this store on our first trip to Houston back in September, and when I knew we were going back it was a must stop destination for us. I heart The Container Store.
As much as it may sound like we spent all our time galavanting around Houston, we did actually do some work while we were there. Well, Scott did at least. ;o) We spent most of our full day in Houston at the zoo. Scott spent the morning working with the keepers and I had two and a half hours completely to myself to wander around the zoo with my camera. I looked at whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted, for how ever long I wanted. I stopped for a drink when I wanted to and even went to the bathroom on my own schedule. And Scott was worried when I met up with them before lunch that I had been bored all morning. Ha!!
While we were at the zoo, Scott got a chance to get up close and personal with his "holy grail" of birds: a Shoebill Stork. It's a species he had never seen in person before, and the zoo had recently imported a pair of them. He was hopefull that we'd get to see them during our trip, but he was over the moon when they not only let him in to snap a few photos, but they also asked him to help out with a veterinary procedure on one of them. He was on a high for the rest of the day.
Okay. I think I've tortured you all enough for one evening. I'm getting tired so I'm going to bed. Stay tuned for more rambling some other time...
No comments:
Post a Comment