Well, we made it through an entire year. Much to my delight and suprise, Colin is no worse for wear despite my many misadventures in mommyhood. Here's to the many more misadventures to come!!
As I write this, at this very moment last year, I was being prepped for my epidural. I remember the lady coming to get me ready and getting mad at the nurse because the IV drip of fluids that I was supposed to get before having the epidural wasn't finished yet. She stood there squeezing the little valve so the fluid would flow really fast. I remember it feeling very cold. I think they pumped about 3/4 of the IV bag of fluid into me in about 10-15 minutes. Scott though it was the coolest thing he had ever seen.
It was also around this time that a very suspicious build-up of activity where I was concerned started. I had more frequent checks and the resident told me that Dr. Cobb was on her way. I was only 3.5cm dialated, so I knew it was nowhere near time for me to get ready for the delivery. It was around this time that the word c-section started getting tossed around quite frequently. When Dr. Cobb arrived and checked me yet again, she sat down with Scott and I and said that she thought that a c-section would be necessary. Even though I was progressing, it was fairly slowly and Colin was still very high in my uterus and not decending in the birth canal. Given that I had been on pitocin all day the day before and they were counting that as labor even though I didn't feel a thing, they didn't want to let my labor drag out any longer.
Once the decision for a c-section was made, I have never seen a team of people move so fast in all my life. It was as if all hell had broken loose in my labor & delivery room. They were moving my epidural block up, cataterizing me (fun), Scott went out to tell the family the news and get himself ready for the surgery, Dr. Cobb went to prep herself and assemble the rest of the doctor team. Scott told me later that he was concerned that something was horribly wrong and they weren't telling us because they were moving so fast. He asked the nurse about it later & she said that nothing was wrong, they had just made me a priority since my labor had been so long. I was wheeled into the operating room at about 1:30pm. They started the section at around 1:45, and Colin officially entered the world at 1:54pm.
Happy birthday baby. I'm so glad and blessed that God chose me to be your mommy. I love you more than words can ever say. Now that you've made mommy cry, you can go to your room and think about what you've done mister!! ;O)
No comments:
Post a Comment