Peg Bundy or June Cleaver?? You decide...but my many misadventures speak for themselves.

Thursday, January 12, 2006

One of those scary mommy moments

When I picked Colin up from the babysitter Monday, I was greeted with, "We had an accident today mommy." Colin fell down her stairs (a flight of about 15 or so). The kids had just gotten up from their naps and she was doing a round of diaper changes before taking them downstairs to play. She had taken the gate down while the littler kids were sleeping so the bigger kids could come and go without having to climb over the gate. One of the big kids decided to go ahead down stairs and Colin tried to follow her. Miss Leslie was changing another little girl's diaper and didn't see him toddling after the bigger kid.



Thank goodness the only thing Colin has to show for his tumble is a small rug burn on the side of his nose. I tried not to make a big deal out of the whole situation because it was very apparant that Miss Leslie was really shaken up by the whole chain of events. I couldn't help but shudder as we were driving off, though, as I stopped to think what could have happened. I'm sure this is only the first of many little accidents Colin will have throughout his lifetime. I, however, don't know how many more heart attacks my old ticker can withstand.



Addendum: On Tuesday when I picked Colin up, Miss Leslie said that her own little boy had fallen down the stairs trying to climb over the gate. I immediately began extolling the virtues of walk-thru gates (we LOVE the one we have at home) and I think I might have talked her into one.

No comments: