When you were younger did your parent(s) ever say, "I can't wait until you get older and your kids do to you what you're doing to me!" Boy are we getting a taste of that right now.
I am a stubborn, stubborn person. It's the German in me. Just ask Scott or my mom how infurating that can be. (Although, my acorn didn't fall far from the tree if you know what I mean, LOL). Colin, a.k.a. "Mr. Independent" apparently is carrying on the family tradition of stubbornness. The boy has been nothing but stubborn lately. "No, I not!!" seems to be his favorite phrase right now.
ME: "Colin, please go put your dirty clothes in your hamper."
COLIN: "No!! I not!!"
ME: "Go and put your dirty clothes in your hamper, please."
COLIN: "No!! I not!!"
We have lots of conversations like this about lots and lots of topics every day. Eventually, he will do what you ask him to do, but the constant back and forth negotiating is very frustrating at times. I'd like to say that I'm a perfect mom and that I have infinate patience where his stubbornness is concerned, but anyone who really knows me will know that patience is not one of my strong suits. I've gotten better since Colin's come along, but there are days when he can pluck my ever-last nerve and I am not as patient as I should be.
"He's two." and "It's just a phase" have become mantras for Scott and I lately. Some days I really question who's parenting who and I wonder whether I have it in me to teach him everything he needs to know...good manners, respect for others and himself, values...the list goes on and on. I know we're not the only ones out there going through this right now, but some days it sure seems like it. This parenting gig sure is tough.
3 comments:
AMEN Sista!! Parenting is tough. . .you certainly aren't alone with the stubbourn 2 year old. . or maybe it's the 10/13 birthdate thing. :-)
Oh yeah, they like to think they are in charge. And that conversation is proof! Those words sound like they could have come out of Mackenzie's mouth!
Yes we can all commiserate together! Noelle is definitely there too, she'll get on my every last nerve some days and it takes EVERYTHING in me to not lose it with her. They are only 2 but don't you think they act a lot more mature sometimes!
Post a Comment