Earlier this week, a friend from one of my mommy boards posted a pattern to make you own re-usable shopping bags. Ironically, the pattern for cutting out your material is made from the very plastic shopping bag that you are making the bag to replace. Inspired by my friend's post, I made a trip to the fabric store and purchased enough fabric to make 2 bags. This morning, after 3 hours of work...voila!
They say fashion has a price & this situation is no different. The material cost me $8, so about $4 per bag, and once you factor in the time involved this sure is no .99 value. This bag is also smaller than the store-bought ones, but it sure is purdy. (If I do say so myself, LOL)
I am hoping that the second bag doesn't take me as long to put together, but we'll see. I'm not sure if I'll get to that one yet today or if it'll have to wait until tomorrow. I don't think that these bags will totally replace our re-usable shopping bag collection, but they will be a nice addition.
Scott's at work & hasn't seen it yet, but I can imagine getting a comment about it being too "girly" for him to use. Maybe I'll have to try to find some more manly material to make one out of.
If you want to make one for your yourself, the instructions can be found here:
Thanks again to J over at Growing up Guacamole for the inspriation!
2 comments:
You go girl! I need to just buy some of those bags, I don't know why I've been putting it off. Well actually I've been wondering how to lug them all in and keep them out of my way in the cart while managing both kids at the store too. Suggestions?
I do like your bag, maybe you could make camo or sport theme for Scott??
I've been using the re-usable bags for quite some time now. I love them! Our grocery store even gives a 5 cent credit for every bag we bring in and use with our groceries. Your homemade one though is very stylish!
Post a Comment