Peg Bundy or June Cleaver?? You decide...but my many misadventures speak for themselves.

Wednesday, July 13, 2005

The complete injustice of the word "da da"

It's just not right that babies say "da da" before anything else. Colin's been saying "da da" for a couple of months now. Of course he has no idea what he is saying becuase everything is "da da"...the dog, the cat, other babies, his milk...pretty much anything he sees is "da da". He does "say" other things, mostly baby talk, but by far his favorite thing to say is "da da". Oh and for a few days a couple of weeks ago he was making the "b" consonant sound and even said "bob" a few times.



I know that the "experts" say that babies say "da da" first because it's the easiest for them to say and all that yadda yadda yadda. I think babies saying "da da" first is just another one of God's tests for us moms. Think about it...who decided that the "d" sound would be the easiest one to make in the entire english language? Why couldn't it have been the "m" sound?



Who feeds the baby (most of the time)? - ma ma



Who bathes the baby? ma ma



Who gets up at 11pm, 12:45am, 4am, & 4:30am when baby wakes up during the night while da da snoozes away? ma ma



Who trips over baby toys in the dark while still 1/2 asleep to get to baby during said wakings? ma ma



Who bruises the crap out of her leg becuase she hit it on the footboard of the bed in the dark while still 1/2 asleep to get baby during said wakings? ma ma



What one word comes out of babies mouth no matter how many times we work on saying ma ma? da da



Don't get me wrong. I love my husband. He is a great father and I am in no way implying that he does not help enough with the baby. That is not what I'm getting at here. I have no complaints where his parenting contributions are concerned. I don't mind doing all of the aforementioned activities...even getting up numerous times during the night. I'm just saying that it's not right that babies say "da da" first. I know that Colin will say "ma ma" one day...probably soon. Perhaps all the waiting will make that day even sweeter. I'll let you know when that day comes. For now, though, we'll just "da da" the days away.

No comments: