We went to a family reunion (my mom's side of the family) this weekend. Over all we had a good time. Colin enjoyed playing with all the other kids there, and it was nice to see so many of the people we don't keep in touch with on a daily basis. The last time this part of the family got together was 9 years ago, so there was alot to catch up on.
As we were sitting there, though, I found it kind of funny how quickly little "groups" formed & how once you were a part of a "group" you didn't really venture out of that group to visit. Sure there were your obligatory "Hey there, so good to see you's." and "How have you beens?" in passing to and from getting a soda or snack, but over all it seemed that the people you sat down with within the first hour of your arrival were who you spent most of the day with.
I guess I just thought that sort of behavior was left behind long ago in high school. At first I thought that's just how our family is, we're just not very outgoing people. As I thought about it more, though, I realized that it's not just our family. That's how LIFE is. We all do it. It's like some unconscious program that's been etched into our brain. I hate to think of all the great people and opportunities that I've missed out on because I was too scared to try something new.
No comments:
Post a Comment