I know it sounds funny, but stay with me for a second on this. Tuesday evening I baked a chocolate cake...in our barbecue grill.
As I was cooking our dinner Tuesday evening (BBQ chicken drumsticks w/ homemade mac & cheese) I noticed that our grill was staying at a pretty constant 350 degrees. That got me wondering. We'd been talking about how a chocolate cake sounded pretty good, but our kitchen is teeny tiny (a "two-butt" kitchen as one of my friends likes to call it) and when I use the oven during the summer it heats our house up terribly, so I usually avoid baking anything like the plague from about May - September.
It just so happens that I had a cake mix and frosting in the cupboard, so I left the grill on while we ate. After dinner I mixed up the cake, plopped it into my greased & floured pan, and out on the grill it went. I resisted the temptation to go out and check on it every 5 minutes because I wanted the temperature to stay constant. After 30 minutes, I stepped out onto our deck fully expecting to have a steamy, gooey, yucky, cake batter mess when I opened the grill lid. Much to my delight, I found what would be after another 5 minutes cooking time a perfectly baked chocolate cake.
I brought the cake in, let it cool, frosted it, and later that evening we all enjoyed some very yummy (if I do say so myself) BBQ cake. ;0) I was a little worried that the cake would taste like BBQ chicken since that's what I had cooked in the grill immediately before the cake, but there's no smoky, bbq flavor to it at all. Who knew??
3 comments:
Wow! I wasn't sure where this was going, but that sounds great!
Very resourceful!
That's amazing, wouldn't have thought to "bake" on a BBQ
Post a Comment