Peg Bundy or June Cleaver?? You decide...but my many misadventures speak for themselves.

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

The best $2 we ever spent

Last summer, Scott happened upon a garage sale during one of his lunch hours. He bought this VERY worn WonderHorse rocking horse for a mere $2. He had one very similar to this growing up and was (from what I understand) quite fond of it. Apparantly it has some very therapeutic qualities when a 4-5 year old is angry with mommy and daddy for one injustice or another. ;o)




Anyhoo, the horse has been stored in our shed since he brought it home. Well, last Monday when he got the baby pool out of the shed, Colin saw the horse. It was love at first sight. He "wow"'ed and "oh boy"'ed until we moved it into the garage so he could get on it and ride. There must be something in little boy DNA because the moment we put him on it he knew EXACTLY what to do and he laughed and smiled and giggled for the next 20 minutes bouncing and rocking away. Given the fit he pitched when we had to take him off of it, we decided that an extreme horse make-over needed to be completed sooner rather than later.




So, I took Colin into the house for a snack while daddy disassembled the horse. We took the horse body over to Scott's dad for some freshening up of the paint. Friday evening we went to Lowe's and purchased new springs, spray paint for the base, dowel rods, and other miscellaneous hardware. Sunday while Colin was napping we re-assembled the horse and it was waiting in the living room when Colin woke up. He peeked out of his room and his eyes lit up immediately.



We've decided to name the horse Rusty, since that's the condition he was in when we found him. I have pics of the completed restoration, but they are still on the camera. I tried downloading them yesterday before work, but it was not cooperating and I didn't have time to mess with it right then. I'll try to get to them tonight after my meeting.

2 comments:

Jenn said...

Too Dang cute for words!! Noelle has one too, she's been riding it since her first birthday, the old ones like this are so much better than the new stiff ones that barely bounce and rock.

Jeanne said...

that looks just like one I had as a kid!