Peg Bundy or June Cleaver?? You decide...but my many misadventures speak for themselves.

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Broken record

"Mommy, mommy, mommy, mommy, mommy, mommy, mommy, mommy, mommy, mommy, mommy, mommy, mommy, mommy, mommy, mommy, mommy, mommy, mommy, mommy..."



This is what we hear at our house...all the time. Some would think, "Awwww, how cute that he wants his mommy." That would be cute, but such is not the case in our house. No, in our house the repeated chorus of "mommy, mommy, mommy," means I want a cracker/cookie/cereal/banana and I want it NOW!!!



We get home from Miss Leslie's around 5:45pm. By this time, Scott is usually home from work and has started dinner. Sometimes it is ready and waiting when we get home, sometimes it's not. Immediately when we get home, however, Colin runs to the kitchen and points to the cabinet for a cracker/cookie/cereal/banana like he hasn't eaten in days. Rest assured this is NOT the case. Most days, he has a snack at Miss Leslie's between 4 and 4:30 just before I arrive to pick him up. Our rule is that he can have 1 cracker or small cookie while we are waiting to eat dinner. Colin is not a fan of this rule. Especially if dinner isn't ready fairly quickly after he finishes the cracker/cookie. Let me tell you, we've had some whopper tantrums lately when he's had to wait a bit for dinner. We try to distract him. We play in his room, we play outside (weather permitting), we watch a TIVO'ed episode of Backyardigans. This usually works for about 5 minutes, then he's back in the kitchen.



I have no idea how we have managed to create this pint-sized version of a 1950's husband who demands that dinner be on the table when he walks in the door after work. Somehow he must have missed the memo that his mom is more Peg Bundy than June Cleaver. He's bound to catch on eventually, right?

2 comments:

Highlandgal said...

Yep, you better nip this in the bud. Next thing you know he'll be expecting you to stay at home with him, all barefoot and pregnant.

Jenn said...

I'll send Noelle over to your house, maybe they could watch backyardigans together. Except she starts much earlier than Collin. I Pick her up at about 5 and usually she's just had snack and we get home less than 5 minutes later which I then start dinner and she demands snacks too. Does get frustrating and the tantrums, this momma ain't gonna let those continue. She knows it too!